Jigme Dorji Wangchuck National Referral Hospital (JDWNRH) had a humble beginning in 1956 when the 3rd DrukGyalpo commanded the construction of the first allopathic hospital in Lanjophaka, Thimphu. The hospital was shifted to its present location in 1974 and named Thimphu General Hospital. The general hospital gradually expanded its services over the years with the addition of more specialist doctors. With the increasing number of patients, a second OPD block was added in 2002. However due to rapid increase in the urban population of Thimphu caused by rural-urban migration, it was felt necessary to construct a new 350 bedded hospital. The new hospital was completed in 2009 enhancing the capacity of the hospital for in-patient and also in diagnostic services.